Monday, July 27, 2015

The Find: More from the Living Estate of Master Michael Quinn

Photograph for "The Find" by Jim Franco

When I look at this image, I am reminded of the fanciful, handcrafted indoor tailgate party that Michael Quinn and his friends threw and that was celebrated in the pages of my book "The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating..." (Clarkson Potter, 2009). This is a fine example of how incongruous objects, when unified masterfully, can become a focal point of a tablescape. Here, Michael used as the bar backdrop an owl shape that he kept from a Henri Bendel window display. The wouldn't be complete without the plastic biology head he purchased at a sidewalk sale in Manhattan's East village. Embedded in its left lobe is a recipe for the signature cocktail of the evening: a Dark and Stormy.

Photograph for "The Find" by Jim Franco

The glasses at the right of this gorgeous display appear several times in "The Find" and are part of "The Living Estate of Master Michael Quinn," which is being sold in my Etsy Shop as they appear in the photograph below.

Photograph by Stan Williams

"Some wear on the etchings, these glasses have been lifted in many a toast," Michael says.  "Originally from a vintage store in Pittsburgh, I later learned the glasses had belonged to the marketing director at the Warhol Museum. How did I make this discovery? A friend of a friend. I stayed with him one weekend. Boy, was he surprised to see what treasures I came back with that day!"

Own these relics from "The Find" and more by clicking here to visit "The Living Estate of Master Michael Quinn" on Etsy.

Cheers!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having the recipe displayed like that. Just the idea-sparking post I needed for an upcoming "bad movie tea and cocktail" party I want to host this Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! I saw a few of those heads bobbing around on Etsy, but this one sold as soon as I put it up! Have fun!

      Delete
  2. I was also thinking to do something like this on my wedding party. Thanks a ton for the inspiration buddy. I have just found the best venues and I’ll book it very soon. I hope they will provide customized menu for my wedding.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin