Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Reuse & Repurpose: Rolling Around



If  you've frequented thrift stores or garage sales, you know that globes of the world could almost make up an entire planetary system by themselves.  I am always drawn to them, spinning them around to see which countries still exist and which have changed their names.  

And no matter the state of the world I find, whether one pre-or post Yugoslavia or another before Hawaii became part of the United States, I love the idea of having a globe; I just don't have the space to display them in my New York City apartment. But these new lamps I saw for sale in the West Village  Kikkerland Store inspired me to think about how to transform a vintage globe into a pendant lamp.

First, I'd buy a hanging fixture, such as the Hemma cord set at Ikea for $5, and drill a hole right through the North Pole, just big enough to slide the cord through and catch at the the opening to hold the lighting element. Next, I would take a lightweight hack saw and cut off just about 1/8th of the entire globe on the opposite end, aligning my cut just below The Tropic of Capricorn. 

Finally, I'd finish off  the cut edges with brown electrical tape, snake the cord through the top hole, and get ready to light up your world! (And now you know my next craft project!)


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

1 comment:

  1. Wow..these are incredible! Would be cool in my boys' room! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin