Thursday, May 29, 2014

Throwback Thursday: The Day Dolly Touched Me!


Anyone who knows me also knows that I love Dolly Parton. I have been a fan since childhood, and while I've only met her once, I feel like she is one of my most trusted friends who never fails to inspire and entertain. So to celebrate her newest recording Blue Smoke , here's a photo of Dolly and me taken almost 12 years ago on the release of her Halos and Horns CD.

I heard about the meet and greet just hours before it was to take place at the now closed Virgin Mega Store in Times Square. To get tickets to the event, I stood in line at the crack of dawn and purchased my CDs. Then later in the day, I returned to store and lined up to meet Dolly.

Those were the days just before everyone had a digital camera so on my way to the event, I grabbed a box camera at the drug store to somehow document this monumental meeting. While I stood in line for hours, the moments passed quickly as we all swapped stories and we one-upped each other with our Dolly knowledge. (Nobody topped me, I'm happy to say!) The next thing I knew, I was third in line and quickly made a pact with my new friends that we would all take pictures and share them with each other.

I was up next. I was so nervous I didn't know what to say, and Dolly could sense it. I told her she was beautiful, and couldn't help staring down at her infamous bosom, especially since I was standing and she was seated about three feet below me. I know my voice cracked when I told her I felt like a kid who was meeting Santa Claus for the first time, and she said to me, "Well, I'm just Granny Claus."

As soon as my CDs were signed, I was whisked away into the crowd and couldn't believe what had just happened. Then a few days later I was reminded as all my photos started to arrive. The one I'm sharing here is my favorite because unbeknownst to me, Dolly hand was firmly planted on my arm.

Why, Dolly touched me!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter 

1 comment:

  1. I'd be thrilled too. I saw Best Little Whorehouse so many times I lost count.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin