Monday, February 10, 2014

The Object of My Desire: What A Doll


_
Photograph by Stan Williams

Ever since I was a little boy, I have always wanted a Dolly Parton doll.

Yes, I can hear your snickering right now to hear me say it, but it's true.Other than G.I Joes, I don't remember wanting another doll.  I never saw her in the toy aisles of stores in Independence, Missouri, but I knew of her existence from ads placed in the back of country music magazines in the 1970s, when this doll was released.

I don't think I ever specifically asked for a Dolly Parton doll; I do remember, however, clipping out the magazine tiny ads in case I ever had the opportunity to send in a few dollars and claim a Dolly doll for my own.

Decades later when I saw this lovely in her original box offered in an Etsy shop, I decided it was about time for me to have her. I even sprang for an extra costume, a "Coat of Many Colors" look modeled after Dolly's beloved song of the same name.

Childhood is a distant memory. And all the Tonka trucks, Lincoln Logs and Matchbox cars from years gone by have been replaced by adult toys like iPhones and iPads. But I am a boy who still plays with dolls.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin