Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Object of My Desire: Tree Trimmings

Photograph by Stan Williams

The holidays seem to start earlier and earlier every year. But when I was a kid, they couldn't come early enough. We started preparing for Christmas in the dead-heat of the summer break by making  ornaments out of kits my mom ordered from Lee Ward's catalog.

Photograph by Stan Williams
 It might be  a 100-Midwest-muggy degrees outside, but we would stay inside where it was cool, pinning beads and sequins to foam shapes that would eventually become a Santa Claus, a Christmas tree, a fanciful orb or maybe even an oil lamp.

These ornaments were probably made in the late 1970s, and they still find themselves on the Williams Christmas tree every year, looking as twinkly and magical as they did more than 30 years ago.

Wishing you a warm and bright holiday season.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

1 comment:

  1. Love this. I still have the beaded ornaments my mom and I made in the '70s too. I remember how my thumb ached from pushing in all the needles, but the result was worth it. Merry Christmas from Lurky!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin