Sunday, June 16, 2013

Frugal Fun: Get Down Tonight!


What kind of flatware should you use at a  Solid Gold Disco? Gilded flatware! Why not? Michael Quinn tipped me off to this he found at  The Sweetest Occasion  when I was planning Veli's monumental birthday bash several weeks ago.

If first required that I hit the thrift shops and pick up all the odd forks and spoons that I could find for a few cents. Then I bought painters tape, a can of gold metallic Krylon spray paint and a can of clear Krylon coating, which would preserve the finish.


I taped the surfaces of the utensils that would touch the mouth so that the paint wouldn't get on them.


Then I took all my tools into the park across the street, laid my flatware out on a flattened cardboard box and got to putting on the gold! I sprayed each side twice, allowing them to dry between applications, and then did the same with the clear Krylon.


Once they dried, I removed the tape, and here's what they looked like.


For the dessert buffet, Melissa Cacha of Dough and Batter created a mouthwatering selection of finger-sized sweets. Since we didn't need the spoons to dig into these goodies, Melissa used the gilded spoons to accent the gold dusted mini-cupcakes


And just for fun, the forks encircled the shimmering disco ball, prodding it along to dance the night away.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin