Friday, April 12, 2013

The Gift of Thrift: Dolly, Dolly, Dolly


I ran this post a while back, but since we're on the theme of party planning this week, here's an idea for a fun hostess gift. 

When Michael Quinn and Heather Kerr hosted an indoor tailgate party to be photographed in The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, I found out in the planning process of our shared adoration of Dolly Parton.

So when it came time to give them a hostess gift, I used my country music muse as inspiration to craft separate host and hostess gifts that didn't cost much, that I would enjoy making and that they would like receiving!

For both, I found two jelly jars that I would pack with candy, and put some sort of Dolly memento of which I have plenty. For Heather, I chose this pendant that was once part of a key chain I bought at Dolly's "Alive and Well. " I chose this for Heather since she is a fabulous jewelry designer and might be able to refashion it into a Dolly-riffic piece to wear once she finished off the Hot Tamales that filled the container.


As for Michael, I made a photocopy of the cover of Dolly's "Jolene" album, and placed it among multi-colored Mike and Ike's. Since Michael is such a fashion plate, I found a coordinating bow tie in my closet and wrapped it around the container like a ribbon -- one that Dolly herself might have tied around one of her wigs in her younger years.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter




3 comments:

  1. It’s exactly what I was looking nice job for posting this.Thanks lot for this useful article, nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea! It's nice to give guests something that they would really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is pretty interesting. Inspiring, as well. Thanks for sharing such inspiring experience with us. Great blog, congrats.!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin