Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Find: Desk Discoveries




A few weeks ago as I was walking near my apartment, I spotted this solid wooden teacher's desk in perfect condition sitting by the side of the street. I posted its image on Facebook with its location in hopes that someone would see it and come to its rescue.

I didn't, however, mean to alarm my friends who thought I had tossed out a desk that my father helped me refinish many years ago and that Kansas City photographer Bob Greenspan photographed, with me on it, for  The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. I think I paid $10 for the piece of furniture at Goodwill and then went home to ask my dad to help me haul it home.

When I got there, he couldn't imagine why I bought the desk, being that he was an elementary, wasn't very happy about my buying a piece of furniture that was so plentiful and easily accessible in his work place. "If I'd known you wanted a teacher's desk, I could have probably found one for free," I think he said.

Either way, he helped me re-finish it and I took it off to the University of Missouri where it was the sturdy surface for typing many a college paper or for laying out magazine design projects. When I moved to New York, space prohibited me from taking it along, so it continues to reside with my sister where it remains completely happy in her home office.


Photograph from The Find by Bob Greenspan


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. How humorous, they do look quite alike! I love the finish on your desk though, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that desk elementary or not. It's always amusing when finds make their way full circle back to us. It means we're doing out job as vulture-eyed pickers :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin