Monday, January 28, 2013

The Object of My Desire: Meeting of Strangers


Even the most picked-over flea market selling pricey goods on a blistery cold afternoon can turn up a treasure even if it's noting more than a snapshot from more than 40 years ago. This little find is slightly out of focus, but it immediately drew me in not so much for the subject squeezing the stuffing out of a Santa Claus but because of the quirkily shaped tree placed against a wooden paneled wall that reminded me of Christmas celebrations at my grandmother's house when I was a child.

The more I gaze upon this image, details pop out: the modern design of the three wise men tacked on the wall, the ornaments and tinsel placed willy nilly on the trees' branches and the date indicating that this snapshot was taken on the very first day of the 1970s. Then I began to think about this image's subject. She might be someone's mother or aunt or best friend. Or she might be a neighbor who had nowhere else to spend New Years Day. I imagine she grabbed the Santa to pose with her, feeling slightly uncomfortable having to take her photo alone. And then I wonder who might have taken her picture. A brother? A cousin? Or maybe even a complete stranger...just like the one who picked up her photo and took it home more than four decades later.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous, 

The Elegant Thrifter


3 comments:

  1. I love this! Who would have imagined that the 70's were simpler times? How I loathe iPhones...being recorded every last second of your life...nothing eventful...the drudgery and monotony of this era!
    Back then the camera came out for special occasions..to record actual events...no Facebook, no MySpace!
    The photo makes me wistful..

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its worth 1,000 words, but charming sounds right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would know this photo would find a home these many years on with someone who treasures it for what has passed. I would say her photo ended up right where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin