Monday, September 10, 2012

The Object of My Desire: Ripe Riches





One of the summertime treats I will miss once they go out of season is watermelon -- the kind that are fresh from the vine and so ready to eat that they almost crack open by themselves, revealing a bright red flesh that I could eat every day. I don't eat watermelon in winter months; the ones you buy out of season taste like nothing to me.

Veli sent pictures of these juicy slices straight from the Dolac market in Zagreb, Croatia. Note that these are real watermelons, with real  seeds, which are much sweeter than the seedless variety that have become so popular. And what about seed spitting contests? Isn't that supposed to be part of the fun of eating watermelon? Rind tossing just doesn't quite the same appeal.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

1 comment:

  1. Seed spitting! How about seed swallowing? My mother's coffee girlfriend told us kids that's how she got pregnant! *smile*
    I stopped by as I took Lily Wolfgang's Thrift class at the library and she recommended your book and blog. Loved looking!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin