Monday, July 2, 2012

The Object of My Desire: Jiggle, Jiggle

Photograph by Stan Williams

Did I need it? No. Will I use it? Maybe. Could I resist it for $1.75 at a garage sale? No way! There's hardly a person I know who doesn't have memories of Jello, especially if you grew up in the Midwest like I did. 

This Tupperware Jell N Serve container reminded me of the molds my mom used to make as a kid. I distinctly remember one that was a bright green and held orange slices, diced celery and carrot slivers concealed inside, as well as one made with peach Jello, made even more peachy with a can of peaches added to it. 

I've never been a huge fan of the Jello. In fact, it always makes me think of what one eats when sick. Once, when I threw a retro food party in New York, I made a cherry Jello mold packed full of fruit cocktail, with full expectation that it would go mostly untouched by my party goers. Oh how I was wrong! To my surprise, they ate every last jiggly drop! 

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. I remember my mom had this mold in the 60s/70s. It came with a variety of designs that could be popped in/out. A blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a cherry Jello mold packed full of fruit cocktail, Eid gifts to Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for hours and I adore it! I missed out on the Jello mold craze but I remember pulling out my mom's old cookbook and there was an entire chapter on Jello molds and aspic. The ones with hard boiled egg slices still give me the shivers!!!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin