Friday, July 6, 2012

The Gift of Thrift: Lost and Found



Whenever I'm at a flea market of garage sale, I always try to keep in mind those special to me just in case The Gift of Thrift should pop up out of no where. The only problem with that is that sometimes I pick up a gift in May that won't be given until December, so I stash it away. But when the time comes to actually give The Gift of Thrift, I don't know where it is!

I spied this 1970s porcelain Hallmark bell, a perfect Christmas present for my mom, at a Jersey Shore garage sale last spring. But when it came time to pack up my things and head home for the holidays to Independence, Missouri, I couldn't find it! 

Jump ahead six months to this spring when I rearranged my living room to make room for new window treatments. As I was moving several pieces of furniture, I slid my desk away from the window sill and noticed a vintage, felt Christmas stocking wadded up in a glass container. And what in the world could that be? It was the elusive porcelain bell.


Photographs by Stan Williams

Earlier this week, I finally gave this porcelain bell to my mom as a belated Christmas present, and she loved it. No matter the time we give The Gift of Thrift -- even months after it was intended -- its sentiment rings true for every season.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thoughtful gesture! Mom's love to be thought of by their sons!
    I read your book Stan, it is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was controlled enough to stash things away until Christmas. I end up giving things I buy almost immediately because most of the time I'm more excited to give than the recipient is to receive. Ha ha. What a lovely bell!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin