Monday, June 25, 2012

The Object of My Desire: Seasonal Shine


Summertime was all about making crafts, whether is was turning baby food jars into sandscapes at Vacation Bible School, pouring candles on top of the kitchen stove or making Christmas ornaments out of kits ordered from the Leewards catalog, which sadly went out of business in the 1990s.These sparkly lovelies -- $5 for 13 at a garage sale in Point Pleasant, N.J. -- brought back those summertime memories, ones that culminated some six months later as we proudly placed our creations on the Christmas tree.  

I remember making colorful Santa boots, shimmering snowmen and out-of-sight holiday satellites on  days when the temperature soared and we were forced to take refuge within the confine of central air. My sister and I were so enthusiastic about making these ornaments that I recall my pointer finger being sore from pushing so many pins into the Styrofoam shapes. It was almost like a race to see who could make the most, and when we ran out of a certain bead or sequin, we improvised with what we had, making for some quirky Christmas designs!


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter


2 comments:

  1. I love them! And you got a great deal, too! Lucky you :-) They really add to a Christmas tree, and are so much more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these types of ornaments. I have a white tree filled with these vintage beauties every year http://nowsolavintage.blogspot.com/2010/12/merry-christmas-decor.html!
    Great find! Cheers ~ Lara

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin