Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Frugal Fun: Back in Black

I had never made a black cake before. I'm not talking chocolate, but a black cake -- one that tastes like vanilla but is pitch black as the night. I knew I wanted to attempt making this cake I had dreamed up  the dual birthday party of Master Michael Quinn and Queen Florence Montmare, which was conjured up to have  a black-and-white theme.


After purchasing black gel dye and black candy beads at N. Y. Cake & Baking on 22nd Street, I headed to Vintage Thrift where in less than five minutes, I located the perfect cake platter. Back at home I whipped up a traditional white cake as prescribed by the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, and yes, I dyed it black.



Once it came out of the oven and cooled, I frosted it with white buttercream and made a logo out of the birthday duo's first names out of black candy beads.


Let the royals eat black and white cake! And they did.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


Th Elegant Thrifter



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin