Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Find: Saying Goodbye



As many of you know, I used to spend my summers on Fire Island aboard The Luxor, a 1966 wooden Chris Craft. Here's a picture of this beauty in her better days, long before the cost of her upkeep got the best of her, necessitating having to say goodbye to her last weekend.

As I climbed aboard The Luxor, the familiar smell of wood mixing with sea air greeted me, along with a string of party lights that still hung across her windshields -- a reminder of the many good times we had with friends and family. I could hear the creaking and whining of the lines as they pulled against the wooden pylons, singing a lullaby that once rocked me to sleep on balmy summer nights. I was also reminded that it was on her teak deck that I spent many hours writing and editing The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. And it was on her bow that we would laze watching boats arriving in the harbor and watching the spectacle of the Pines Invasion that takes place every Fourth Of July.

So after almost 15 years of summers on The Luxor, we're letting her go to a group of people who are dedicated to taking much better than we have been able to over the past three years. I hope someday soon I'll see The Luxor cruising across Fire Island's Great South Bay, looking like the picture above and humming along proudly, leaving behind her a healthy wake.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. Its always hard to say goodbye.
    But its a great moment to say hello to something else.


    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure she will help another family create many memories and continue the tradition. What a beautiful vessel! On to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great posting I have read. I like your article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog. Experienced my first Chris Craft this past summer on Squam Lake NH. Wonderful boats!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin