Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Frugal Fun: It's in the Cards!


A few days ago I shared with you several vintage Valentines that I was using as inspiration for this year's card making. After pondering the friendly messages, the colorful flowers and the array of timeless hearts, I began photocopying the designs onto a creamy paper stock.


Next, I carefully cut them out and admired them for a while. I was reminded of a Valentine's Day while I was in third grade. Each student was to transform a shoebox into a one-of-a-kind creation  in which to receive his or her valentines. I cut out small squares of white tissue paper and glued each one for a fluffy puff-ball of a Valentine's Day mailbox.


Now back to my cards: I didn't want to over-embellish them since their original forms are quite charming, but I also didn't want to send my friends a photocopy of a card I found at a yard sale. So for the sweet design of the cupid, I added a few sparkles of glitter on her wings and the ribbons.


Then I remembered a treasure trove of doilies I found at a garage sale one year. Now what could I do with those?

Why not cut out individual shapes for  a three-dimensional border on one of my designs? (That's what I did during Super Bowl! )


Here's the finished assortment. As you can see, they retain much  the flavor of the originals, but with an individualized twist that I definitely put my own heart into.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. Oh these are so cute, I just love them, well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Within the week i'll be sending some handmade valentine's to some sailors in the Navy who are defending our country. Handmade ones always feel that much more special!
    I love the doily work!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin