Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Find: Imperfectly Perfect

Photograph by Jim Franco for The Find

Sometimes when we resist the urge to over decorate we become more able to strike the perfect chord between welcoming and wonderment. In decoupage artist John Derian's Lower East Side walk-up, the eye is consistently treated to unusual objects gathered in an unfussy setting.

In this out-take from The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, you can see how he paired favorite art pieces with flea market finds all in a variety of frames that just work together. They don't follow any set theme, and the somewhat random placement is appealing, yet balanced.  And the antique sofa is made even more cozy with a European feed sack pillow and a yellow throw that complement the spackle-splotched wall. When I asked John about the spots on the wall that hadn't been completely covered, he said he decided to leave them the way they are because he likes them that way.

And so do I!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. I the wall art. It give the room a really elegant look I rarely see in home decor. If you're interested there's a site a friend recommended me to that has similar elegant home decor. It's called World to Home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John D. is such a style icon... one I aspire to emulate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over from Mark Montano's blog. Glad I did, I enjoyed perusing your site!

    Jillie
    http://makingsnmusings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin