Thursday, January 19, 2012

Reuse and Repurpose: Cool and Cozy!


Almost every time I peruse a flea market or stop in on a garage sale, it seems like there is always a colorful, crocheted afghan. I'm always drawn to them, since they remind me of all the crocheted blankets and throws that were made by my own family members in the past, not to mention the time, energy and love that went into their creation.

 But let's face it, there are only so many of these handmade lovelies you can pile on the back of a sofa or place at the foot of a bed. What if you could repurpose them into something new and fresh, other than a way to keep your feet warm while lounging at home?

That's why I was drawn to this unique display spotted in the window of an Urban Outfitters store in Kansas City. Made of discarded crocheted afghans, this cozy-yet-cool wall décor creation puts a modern twist on a time-honored tradition.


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. How neat! I've used some of mine that the Grandmothers made as "Vlances" over windows before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

    HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother must have made a million in her day, the most elegant of which was 3 shades of beige. The Urban Outfitter idea is a really nice way to preserve some family memories, especially if your style is too minimalist to use the afghans on your furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this is pure handicraft then its totally amazing and awesome piece of work. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin