Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Frugal Fun: A Flea Market Adventure


 Many people think that when I go to flea markets, I go crazy and buy everything in sight. But for me, especially when perusing a venue with high prices, I'm happy to walk away with photos that remind me of my adventure. Such was the case when I visited for the second time the market on Britanski Trg (British Square) in the capital city of Croatia -- Zagreb.


We were first attracted to this table filled with industrial looking fixtures, a globe and a German clock. The vendor wanted $80 for the time keeper, which was interesting but was battery-operated and not that old, so I knew finding items at this market within my thrifty budget would be a challenge.

When I marveled over this Eastern European chair, I dared not ask the price but imagined how wonderful it would look in the corner of my living room -- recovered and refinished, of course!


 And I couldn't help but chuckle over this rubber (yes, rubber!) chicken guarding the treasures in this display.


I almost inquired further about this crystal-filled, brass fixture, which was just under $100, but quickly decided that a picture would do.


And I had to really restrain myself from diving into a pile of lace that several ladies were rummaging through.


Some vendors attempted creative vignettes, such as this vintage, Marie Antoinette tin matched with other lady-like accessories.

And then, of course, there were unusual pieces I don't run into every day, such as this old Victrola horn. Tomorrow I'll show you how someone took a similar object and turned it into a spectacular focal piece.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. I love a good flea! Theres one in bowie, and I marvled at the thrift shops and fire sales on 2nd Ave in NY. Althought one of my few regrets in live was not buying a $40 Chandiliere out of the Plaza in 2005... I had no room or way to get it home, but it would of made one heck of a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun to see how flea markets are done in other countries. Thank you for giving us a glimpse of this one. I have a sort of thing for Marie A. so I would have had to scoop up that neat tin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is all in Veronica Hearst e.g. style, charisma, stardom but she is known for being philanthropic socialite. Veronica Hearst is not only known for being the wife of Randolph Hearst of Hearst Corporation but also for being the founder of American Hunger Alliance who has aim to feed the poor in the hour of need.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin