Monday, January 30, 2012

The Object of My Desire: Snow Day!


It's rare that I see an estate sale listed in Manhattan, so when I saw one advertised on lower Fifth Avenue, I had to go. It was a snowy Saturday -- the first since October -- and my LA garage sale-ing buddy, Ruth Handel, was in town, so we bundled up and made our way a few blocks to see what finds might await us.

To put it conservatively, the gracious, three-bedroom apartment was packed with everything. The woman who was moving out was a celebrated decorative artist who specialized in découpage objects. There were stacks of gorgeous paper from around the world, boxes of porcelain hands, masses of colorful prototype boxes, vintage shoe lasts, craft books, stamped metal medallions, glass domes and planters. You name it, and it was probably there.

Under the heaps of treasures that teetered as shoppers picked through them, I spied a box that had yet to be opened. When I lifted its lid, I discovered hundreds of crisp, crocheted snowflakes in pristine condition. The original owner's son told me that his mom made them for the windows of Henri Bendel. He then handed me another box filled with the prototypes she had made out of tan thread with metallic flecks. Of course, I took them all.

After three hours, the apartment started buzzing with activity, so it was time to go. Out we went into a the sparkly, pure-white snow with an awesome array of goodies and I my own winter wonderland under my arm.


Photographs by Stan Williams

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful find! When I was a child, my grandmother made these, so I have a soft spot for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific score!

    When I read your words "I spied a box that had yet to be opened..." I KNEW something amazing would follow!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin