Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Find: Dishing With Sharleen


Having just spent the holidays with family in Independence, Missouri, here's a post from the past that features a friend from my hometown.

While researching The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Treasures, and Flea Market Objects, it should have come as no surprise that I would find inspiration in my hometown of Independence, Missouri. My sister told me about a shop on the historic Independence Square that she insisted I had to see. And there, sitting across the street from the cinema I remember from my childhood, was the delightful Luticia Clementine's. As soon as I walked through the front door that jangled with the sounds of a chime handmade out of silverware and a china plate, I was hooked.

I marveled at the creativity of proprietor Sharleen Reeder and the way she took garage sale and thrift store discoveries and re-fashioned them into true treasures.
And so impressed was I with her skill and wit that I included her work in the pages of The Find, even though this amazing photograph of Sharleen by Bob Greenspan did not.

Here are some photos of items I took on my first visit to Sharleen's amazing shop. And every time I gaze at them I'm reminded of Sharleen's magic touch that breathes new life in the discarded.




A sugar bowl that had flipped its lid was sweetly transformed into a whimsical pin cushion;



Broken pieces of blue-and-white pottery were fashioned into a lofty birdhouse;



A jumble of mix-and-match flatware is set with an odd china plate for a door chime;


And a pair of silver spoons serves up new service as witty window accessories.


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin