Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Find: Child's Play


This bright, spring-like day in New York City made me think of this post from the past. Enjoy! 

If you're experiencing a gray, slushy day like the one in New York today, this cheery setting from The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details might brighten your day. Created by acclaimed wedding designer Michelle Rago and photographed by Jim Franco, this table stands out to me for the way Michelle used everyday, inexpensive objects to create a tabletop that is bright and sunny.

Even the lowly, deli-type carnation is glorified in a vessel of blue refrigerator glass resting under a sail of craft paper held high with a found-in-the-yard twig mast. The glasses are the kind that I find at garage sales for about $1 a set, or maybe a quarter apiece. And then the final touch comes with the cloth napkins -- hopefully ones you have on hand. Fold them into sailors hats and we're ready for smooth sailing!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous!

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. I like it! So bright & cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very bright, I like it, makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice! Great theme and colors. And I've always thought the carnation deserves more love than it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really Good Post!!

    ain Garage Doors Contemporary Full-View Aluminum Glass Garage Doors with Clear Tempered Single or Dual Pane Glass are designed to complement your home’s clean, modern look.glass garage doors http://bit.ly/sNKsSl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the orange stripes in the glasses! Perfect for an iced tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I delight in, cause I found just what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye
    Badger Basket Covered Convertible Cedar Sandbox with Two Bench Seats, Natural

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin