Friday, November 4, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: Kick Up Your Heels


To me, when it comes to giving a special person a heartfelt gift, it really doesn't matter how much money you spend, but how much care goes into the offering. As hokey as it may sound, it really is the thought that counts, so that's why whenever I go to a flea market or garage sale, I'm always on the lookout for items destined for those who are dear to me.

This card, appropriate for a friend who loves to dance, is a"Slim Jims by Hallmark" card that someone back in the late 1960s or early 1970s purchased for a whole 15 cents! I found this  cheery, colorful piece of stationery with dated lingo ("as gay as the Cha Cha") at an Independence, Missouri garage sale. It reminds me of a time not so long ago when most birthday wishes came in a post box rather than in an e-mail. While the number of letters and cards I receive has dwindled while my electronic in-box has burgeoned, I still get excited about checking my mailbox downstairs. And on the occasion that someone has actually mailed me a note, I'm always delighted!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

1 comment:

  1. The graphics and wording on these older cards are just great! I always send paper cards and love receiving them. It's interesting to see what someone picks out for you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin