Thursday, October 13, 2011

Reuse & Repurpose: A Colorful Can

When it comes to shopping yard sales, I'm always charmed by the stories that teachers and former teachers share with me when selling their wares, probably because both of my parents were teachers. My dad, a retired, elementary school principal, used to bring home loads of handmade gifts offered at Christmastime by children and parents. For my sister and me, it was like Santa Claus had made an early arrival, and we couldn't wait to see what Dad had tucked away in all the bags and boxes he brought through the door.

Before we were allowed to tear into these goodies, he always made us wait until he could make a list of the gifts he received and the people who offered them so he could send appropriate thank you notes. And I am certain that this orange juice once received a hearty thank you the day it was offered to a favorite teacher. As my attention wandered to this cross-stitched wonder, the former teacher selling it told me that it sat on her desk for probably 30 years. And now that she was no longer working in the school, she was in the process of de-cluttering.

How could I pass up this heartwarming treasure -- priced at 25 cents? It now colors my world atop my own desk.


Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,


The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember Valentine's Day? Dad used to bring home a huge box of valentine's received from his students. I read each one as if it were sent directly to me. I think of it every February and kind of wish for the "take-the-box-upstairs-to-my-bedroom" excitement of looking at all those magical greetings of love. * We had a unique blessing, growing up with teachers as parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't we though? Ah...miss those days...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin