Monday, August 1, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Easy Rider

While objects can often transport us to a memorable place in time, photos have the ability to bring back yesterday, clearly, crisply and in living color. My sister sent these photos take in the 1970s when I was probably in third grade and she in second. In the first photo, you can see me on the back of my uncle's motorcycle with my dad at the handlebars. Before you start to worry about our safety and wonder why we don't have on safety helmets, I can promise you we were moving at a snail's pace along the gravel road that leads to my grandmother's house in southern Missouri.

Here's my sister's turn on the Kawasaki. I remember that when she rode in the back, she wore the helmet, which I refused for fear of messing up my hair. (Don't have that problem today!) Also behind us is our old 1966 Chevy Chevelle Malibu station wagon. The main thing I recall about this car is that it did not have air conditioning, requiring us to take family trips in the summer with all the windows rolled down. Any loose papers, coloring books or tissue boxes that weren't locked down on the floorboard risked being sucked out and deposited somewhere along the highway.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

1 comment:

  1. Great memory. This reminded me of my uncle's burgundy car. I can't remember the model but it forever had that leather and smoke smell. We'd take trips from NY to North Carolina, smoke in the car and all. I'm coughing with a smile on my face as I type this ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin