Monday, August 8, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Family Fun

For family vacations, one of our favorite places to go was Opryland USA, a country-music-themed amusement park built around the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tennessee.

When I ran across this mug in a Methodist church thrift store on Long Island, I was taken back to the days of our loading up the Chevy Impala and hauling ourselves halfway across the country to spend a day or two in Opryland. Even though this mug was slightly more than I usually pay for these sorts of items -- $5 -- I had to have it for all the sweet scenes from the past it evokes.

In the image on the left of this mug, you can see the Barnstormer, a ride that involved flying around in planes that turned and dropped from nosebleed heights. I rode this once and never again. But on the right is the Wabash Cannonball, an upside-down rollercoaster that I couldn't get enough of. I even dragged my poor dad on it once, after of course, he made certain his Dramamine was working.

Unfortunately, this family destination no longer exists. It was leveled in 1997 to make room for an outlet mall, and the Wabash Cannonball sold for scrap metal. But this mug now sits on on a ledge on my window, reminding me of summers gone by and the memories they have left in their paths.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


1 comment:

  1. Your post made me think of Dogpatch USA. My grandpa took me there when I was around 8 years old. I still have the remnants of a tea set that he bought me on that trip. I have one of the cups that say The Ozarks on it. Just like Opryland, Dogpatch USA is no longer. So sad! But I do have great memories of meeting Lil Abner and Daisy Mae. Good times!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin