Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Frugal Fun: Chop! Chop!

When we had to bid farewell to one of our dearest neighbors last week, I signed up to make a crudité platter for the goodbye party, since it seemed like everyone else was bringing all kinds of other sweet and savory goodies.

I took inspiration from a vegetable satellite I made several years ago, which was basically all kinds of cut vegetables on toothpicks hovering around a cabbage planet. This time I placed the veggies closer together on the cabbage to create a floral effect, ornamenting the whole thing with strips of sweet yellow and red pepper. You may notice my 75-cent-plate from a yard sale that set a gorgeous green backdrop for my creation.

Truly, this is one of the easiest dishes to make, and people are always amazed when I walk in the door holding it. "I could never do this," one guest told me, to which I replied, "Yes, you could. The hardest part is all the chopping!"

Always Frugal Always Fabulous

The Elegant Thrifter


5 comments:

  1. Great fun - and a good way to get kids excited about raw veg too, I should think! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my creativity was in overdrive like yours is. Excellent party idea, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Van, my dear, you are SO super-creative! And this is SO super-easy....

    And Floss, I always say that everything tastes better when it looks pretty!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea ~ will definitely try it sometime when I need to take a veggie dish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin