Friday, July 15, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: Bargain Birthdays

When it comes to putting together personalized birthday gifts, I like to rely on the thrift gods to lead the way. My search method pretty much involves letting presents appear on their own whenever I'm out and about digging through boxes of old dishes, sifting through stacks of ephemera or fishing through bags of ladies finery. These wooden eyeglass holder caught my eye at a Jersey Shore garage sale because they reminded me of my thrifting pal Ruth Handel's fancy frames -- and it was $1.

From there, the offering just came together -- a vintage birthday wish in a box of Hallmark greeting cards ($1.50 for all) from a garage sale in Independence, Missouri; a bit of ribbon picked up at a yard sale (5 cents) and gift wrap that Ruth once used to wrap a gift for me (free!).

Have a fantastic weekend!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

7 comments:

  1. You always create the best piles of birthday booty and hootch bag gifts! I'm the same way, when I'm out and about on the hunt I'm always scooping up finds my friends would love ;)

    Birthdays are easy when you're a habitual thrifter and crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! And wish I was on the receiving end of that eye glass holder! I cannot wait to go thrifting in Cape May in August. Do you have any favorite Jersey Shore spots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. they eyeglass case is awesome! now only if there were an original pair of cat-eyed glasses in them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just sent off a b'day package to my best friend in Michigan. I included a small painted tray -- really cute! -- that I got at a thrift shop for $3. I think she's gonna love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never mind Stan's calculations... the gift is worth a million bucks!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful gift - and I love all the "trimmin's", too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wooden eye glass holder is VERY interesting! I don't know if I've ever seen something like that before!!! What a super idea too! Just love it!
    xoxo
    Cat@budgetblonde

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin