Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Frugal Fun: Toy Treasures

When I was a kid, I had a metal Tonka Toy crane very similar to the the yellow one in this collection of playthings decorating the walls of New York's B-Bar. Mine was a finicky object whose mechanism was easily tangled, thus putting the whole thing out of commission. No matter how careful I was, the picker-upper part of this piece never seemed to be able to lift anything bigger than a Matchbox car and easily dropped open, spill its contents all over the floor. Dad would re-adjust its riggings, and then I'd start picking things up all over again...that is until it got all tangled up again. And of course, Dad came once again to the rescue!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. That toy was absolutely beautiful! I'm a sucker for cool looking toys, even the finicky ones like yours was ;) Provided they are the right thrifty price...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found two Erector Toy sets-- one from the 40s and one from the 60s-- at a Garage Sale this past spring. They were amazing. I discovered a new chapter in children's toy history I never heard about before-- They're building toys made out of stainless steel that were for forerunners of today's K*Nex. The seller told me about how he played with them as a kid. I bought them quickly and gave them to my boyfriend who wants to be an engineer. He told me that the only toys he had as a kid were legos and some toy cars and planes. He's now saving the Erector Sets for his future kids.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin