Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Find: Tiki Time!

When you walk into the midcentury home of Peter Moruzzi and Lauren LeBaron, you'd have no idea that in the basement of their Silver Lake abode is a tiki bar, complete with funny-faced mugs and topped with a thatched roof. Photographed by Bob Greenspan for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, this location was discovered on the fly driving down the 405 when a magazine colleague who knew I was looking for locations gave me Peter's phone number and told me to call him about his tiki bar.

I rang Peter, he answered, and told him I was working on a book about decorating with vintage and thrift and asked if I could come to see it. "When?" he asked. "Tomorrow morning?" I queried. "And one more thing," I added. "I have a photographer with me in case we want to shoot it. Is that OK?"

He agreed, and we showed up at his door the following day at 9 a.m.. He led us through his home filled with midcentury treasures and pieces of modern art and then down to what he called the rumpus room, and there it was: the tiki bar we had heard so much about.

It only took us seconds before we decided to photograph our discovery, and in fewer than 24 hours had added yet another magical location to the pages of The Find.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


3 comments:

  1. What a fun bar! You must have been so happy getting to shoot it for you book. Lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan I think the Tiki Bar is so kitschy and so fabullous. How fun would that be to have tucked away in your basement?

    I'll have a Mai Tai pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you post about a tiki bar. This weekend I opened a plastic bag with that stuff in it thinking they were hula skirts or something.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin