Monday, June 6, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Stuck in Time

When I was a kid, my sister and I always anticipated the mail carrier's arrival, hopefully bringing us a letter from a pen pal from across the country or possibly a note from our grandmother who seemed to have written us at least every week. Back then, a long-distance phone call was a special occasion reserved for holidays, birthdays or emergencies, and for everything else, a stamped letter would do.

My mom would carve out time every week to take her pad and jot notes to siblings, friends and grandparents who lived out of town. And I sent fan mail to everyone from Donny & Marie and Dolly Parton to Captain & Tennille and The Village People. I always tried to use the prettiest stamps to get the attention of the people I was writing, and sometimes, I even got a handwritten response.

These relics, mostly the 1960s and 1970s, caught my eye last weekend while on a magical tour of a community-wide garage yard sale around Point Pleasant, New Jersey. The $10 price tag on the box almost caused me to pass them by, but then I started to flip through these little memory makers, reminiscing about a time when my most important mode of communication with the outside world was hinged mostly on an ink pen, a sheet of paper and a postage stamp.

After leafing through images celebrating the states of Alabama and Colorado, the first man on the moon, a variety of Christmases,the women's suffrage movement and more, I realized that none of these stamps had been cancelled. I had at least $10 of usable postage on my hand, making this find worth even more than its asking price.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


1 comment:

  1. What a find. I have never paid much attention to stamps, but I guess they are tiny pieces of art...sometimes colourful art. BTW, I received your signed bookplate and it is now secured to the flyleaf of my copy of 'the find'...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin