Monday, June 13, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Memory Blocks

When I was small, we rarely watched TV. It wasn't because we didn't want to; it was mostly because our old black and white unit only got about three channels, and the picture was often so fuzzy that you couldn't tell Lucy from Captain Kangaroo! I remember in first grade when other kids talked about having color television at home, I announced that we did, too. Only our range of hue was limited to black, white and gray.

Instead, my sister and I played both inside the house and outside, and building blocks were part of our fun. We supplemented our building materials with what are now considered retro play things -- Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys. I'm sure to the dismay of my mother, we'd spread everything out on the floor of what to a five-year-old seemed like a massive living room. Along with the wooden gears, plastic wheels and building blocks you would most certainly find a pair of feet from a Mister Potato Head, a Tonka Toy or Matchbox car.

This collection of nursery rhyme blocks were lovingly gathered in a wooden basket in Alice Quinn's Jersey Shore home. In them you can see a time-honored patina, most certainly the result of many hours of being stacked, toppled, dropped and maybe even thrown, resulting in a sweet reminder of the simpler days of childhood.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. Children's blocks are one of the strange things I collect. They come out and then get stored back in a box. Sometimes I write words with them for holidays or birthdays but mostly I just love having them. They are little pieces of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fabulous is right.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin