Friday, June 10, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: Take the Cake!

As you may know by now, almost any time I'm invited to a party my favorite hostess gift is bringing a home-baked cake on a thrifted platter. When I got the call from a friend in Brooklyn to come to her Easter brunch, the challenge was on to find an appropriate serving dish for the coconut cake I had in mind. I headed off to one of my favorite locales -- the Vintage Thrift shop in New York, one that is always bursting with gorgeous home goods, all at fair prices.

I literally looked through about 30 platters until I pulled out this little number. It may not be the chicest plate I've ever seen, but for $2, its springtime motif was perfect for the occasion, and the cake would cover up the pastel tulips anyway.

You should have seen me carting this cake on the subway to Brooklyn. And yes, everything made it there in one piece -- including me!

Have a super-sweet weekend!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

9 comments:

  1. YUM! Looks dee-lish! And what a FANTASTIC gift idea!! You're awesome xo

    =) Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very sweet looking plate AND definitely a sweet looking dessert! So much nicer and more thoughtful than a disposable plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine my terminally clumsy self toting a cake on a Subway without causing messy cake carnage!

    Love how you took your time to hunt for the perfect platter, and love the sweet picture of you in this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the perfect platter and the cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a delicious cake and lovely platter!!! thanks stan xoxo "your lucky friend in brooklyn"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, but you made it so chic!

    xx
    Vintage Thrift

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin