Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Find: With Dad's Help

Next week, I'll be heading off to Independence, Missouri, to spend Father's Day with my family. It's also the same place where one of my very first thrift-store finds resides. I discovered this old, wooden desk in the photo (left) in 1984 at a thrift store in Independence.

Kansas City photographer Bob Greenspan took this image of me for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. I think I paid $10 for the piece of furniture at Goodwill and then went home to ask my dad to help me haul it home.

When I got there, he couldn't imagine why I bought the desk, being that he was an elementary, wasn't very happy about my buying a piece of furniture that was so plentiful and easily accessible in his work place. "If I'd known you wanted a teacher's desk, I could have probably found one for free," I think he said.

Either way, he helped me re-finish it and I took it off to the University of Missouri where it was the sturdy surface for typing many a college paper or for laying out magazine design projects. When I moved to New York, space prohibited me from taking it along, so now it resides with my sister where it is completely happy in her home office.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. Great find! I think my very very first purchase was an old toy mouse made in the early 1930's coin case. I wish I still had my first find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stan, I'm headed to Independence next week too, for family reunion and Father's Day! Hope the tornadoes, flooding and rain are overwith by the time we get there! "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore". I have your book and follow your blog as well, love it!
    ~Joyce a.k.a. Calamityjaneslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pieces like this with a history.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin