Monday, May 9, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Plates, Platters and More!

When I originally posted this photo on Twitter in preparation for a gathering in my apartment, one of my followers asked me where I keep all my treasures. My answer? Everywhere. In cabinets, on top of armoires, tucked in closets and stacked in "decorative" vignettes.

So when I entertain, I view it as a good excuse to pull out all of my favorite pieces, dust them off and put them to good use. And it gives me a chance to give them a little extra TLC as I reminisce about how I came about them.

Take for instance the 1970s Happy Birthday platter I picked up for next to nothing at an estate sale with my sister in Independence, Missouri. Since it came back to New York, it has already celebrated three birthdays to great success.

Then there's the gigantic Poppytrail strawberry that is a memento from Ruth Handel's garage sale that we photographed for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. There's the Lazy Susan I paid $3 for at Goodwill and the four gold-rimmed glasses with blue decals I paid $1 for at the Disabled Veterans Thrift shop also in Independence. I could go on.

I realize these finds are just things, and nothing more. None of these objects is overly precious or valuable, and some have the expected "age spots " that comes with years of love and good use. Even so, I relish each of these pretties, not just because they once caught my eye from a table piled high with oddities or a box heaped with junk, but because of the memories they spark that are absolutely priceless.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. I tend to wrap things up and store them away in closets under the bed and what have you. Its a great idea to pull things out to use them when I entertain. I'm not sure why I don't
    Chic Modern Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Happy Birthday plate. I bet it looks great with a pineapple upside-down cake on it.

    Lurky

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin