Friday, May 6, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: Take Your Pick!

The other day a package arrived with a familiar address on it -- one that belongs to a certain Sonya of the blog Dime Store Thrift . And even though we only know each other through our blogs and an occasional e-mail, she knows me well enough to know that a collection of retro party picks would make my day -- especially since they came from what was once a Kansas City culinary destination.

Putsch's 210 was touted as one of the finest restaurants in the area and was located on the glamorous Country Club Plaza in a space that now houses the eatery of former Kansas City Royal George Brett. The former was known for its New Orleans theme, and in 1953, you could get a full-course dinner for a whopping $1.85!

I don't remember this restaurant, but I do recall a Putsch's Cafeteria on the lower level of the now-demolished-for-a-Walmart Blue Ridge Mall, one of the very first enclosed shopping centers in the country. Opened in the mid 1970s as part of the mall's renovation, this Putsch's featured a rotating merry-go-round outfitted with tables where you could dine upon burgers and fries -- that is if you didn't suffer from motions sickness.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. you are the author of The Find? Wonderful book! I've read (I don't know how many times :-) It makes me want to go out and go antique shopping. Beautifully done. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I am so glad you enjoyed it! I always think of you whenever I come across Kansas City/Missouri items:) Hugs, Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father was the maître d’ at Putsch's back in the late 60's.I was only 6 or 7 years old at the time,but i have many fond memories of the place.People nowadays stroll by and have no idea what was once there and how elegant it was in it's heyday.Speaking for myself,Putsch's 210 is what made the Country Club Plaza.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin