Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Frugal Fun: Party to Go

It's almost impossible to surprise someone on his birthday, especially if you practically live and work in the very same room every single day. That's why I called upon my creative pals (from left to right) Ron Rangel, Heather Kerr and Michael Quinn to help me come up with some little way to surprise the birthday boy (fourth from left, with his mother), even though he had already pretty much planned his OWN party.


As with any party, having a theme makes all the arrangements easier to imagine, and we chose the letter "V," which is the first letter in Veli's name. I made a chocolate cake with caramel icing and decorated it with golden balls to form a "V." I then embellished the lower platter with funny money and displayed it underneath the flea-market Christmas tree that I keep up all year long.


I pulled out all my finest vintage wares and turned a plate of chopped vegetables into a crudité bouquet that you can see resting on a red pedestal. Then I headed off to get myself ready for party time, but as soon as I closed the shower curtain, the buzzer rang. It was my Brooklyn pals ready to razzle dazzle my space with their inimitable party-perfect style. (You might remember them from the vintage tailgate party they produced for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. )


By the time I got out of the shower, these magic makers had covered my surfaces with shimmery cloths, and there was a disco ball emitting green sparkles in my living room. The "V" themed party sticks fringed in tissue paper were in place for invitees to shake things up in celebration of our guest of honor.

And before we knew it, Michael was putting the finishing touches on the flag that he and his gang made, and the festivities were about to begin. Michael calls this his "annoyed Martha Stewart face," but I call it simply marvelous!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dear Veli! Happy Birthday To Youuuuuuuuuu!
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH what Fun! :) Fab as Always Stan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT that Christmas tree! The cake looks yummyyummyyummy. Happy Birthday to your friend! And you can throw a party for me anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin