Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Frugal Fun: Giving Props


I promised Nova Scotia interior designer Jonathan Legate that I would not visit the Film Biz Recyclng and Prop Shop, which also serves as a charity thrift store, until he could come and experience it with me. I have to admit, it was a difficult feat of self restraint, since Film Biz's Twitter feeds tempted me by announcing truckloads of goodies, taunted me by sharing pictures of unusual furniture pieces and teased me by sending personal invitations.

Finally, after weeks of anticipation, Jonathan arrived to New York. Still, I had to wait a week before we could jump the R train together to discover a location I was certain would be bursting with treasures. After a quick brunch in Manhattan, we easily found our Brooklyn address, entered through a gated driveway and wound our way through the gray hallways of an industrial building to an unassuming door.

Here's what I saw when I cracked the door -- wigged beauties and vintage electronics welcoming visitors inside.


The staff couldn't have been more friendly or creative. Since six truckloads of merchandise had just arrived, they were all busy making floor space. And they weren't just unpacking boxes and setting goods on the floors; they were actually creating clever vignettes as they worked.


Jonathan and I were stunned by the array of lighting options.


We were wowed by the selection of Mid-Century furniture at truly affordable prices. In fact, unlike many other thrift shops that benefit charities, they seem willing to make deals, especially when buying sets. (Who would want just one lamp, anyway, where there is a matching pair?!?)



Looking for electronics from your childhood? My sister and I each had portable radios like the one on top. The larger model below reminds me of the one that sat on my Grandpa Williams living room desk.


There were poodle Avon decanters, tablecloths, craft goods, home paint, glasses, bowls, gadgets, seashells and more, all items that were once used in a television, film or play production, all saved from the landfill by good folks at Film Biz Prop Shop.


I left with a bag full of beautiful ribbons at 50 cents a piece that was totally worth the wait.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh !!! One more reason to visit New York. What a treasure trove of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic place to shop at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great post and photos! I have been following the Film Biz folks for a while (what a great business idea) and can't wait to get into the shop...we were just in Brooklyn to visit family over thanksgiving and it was killing me not to be able to get there...maybe over Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stuff! would love to see if we can try and work together sometime! www.greeninteriorsandliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin