Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reuse & Repurpose: Frame It!

Here's a novel way to show off a collection and at the same time re-use an old picture frame, an object so common in thrift shops and often over looked because of the art inside it or the state of the glass that covers it. I saw this piece at Enamoo, a gift shop in downtown Brooklyn, while on a springtime stroll there a few days ago.

You could take any frame and if needed, remove its glass and secure its corners with wood glue. Let the glue set, give it a quick coat of paint, let it dry, and finally tack a piece of fabric-covered foam core to its reverse. VoilĂ : a palette on which to display a lightweight collection. You could create an eye-catching display of colorful earrings, special photos, favorite postcards or buttons, just like they did here, and show them off for everybody to admire.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

5 comments:

  1. You always have chic ideas! I love to frame black and white photos. I might just do a collage with this inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh, earrings...and pins. Wonder if that piece of foam core from a yard sale is still up in the attic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! And you're right, I do usually pass by the picture frames during my thrift store excursions, but I won't anymore. This looks like fun!

    BTW... there is a 'lovely' blog award waiting for you on my blog. You have a very cool blog! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way that is overflowing with buttons! I have a few of these neglected in a drawers, this is giving me some display ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i simply adore this idea. Once I find out about living conditions at my college, I will definitely look into this. I happen to be an amateur collector of pins. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin