Monday, April 25, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Shelved


As I'm in the process of making changes in my bedroom, and one of the pieces I'm putting away is this shelf I remember from my childhood. It once held our family's volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica as well as other children's books in the corner of our living room in Independence, Missouri. It comes apart easily and can be stacked flat, so one day several years ago, my dad surprised me by lovingly wrapping it up and mailing it to my apartment.

I have used this shelf for many years and would never dream of tossing it out. But I had decided it was time to put it away for awhile until I could decide upon its next destination. As I was unscrewing the shelves, I noticed this unusually shaped red outline on the top -- one so familiar that it didn't take me long to remember what had once left its imprint.

Every Christmas, Mom displays her Avon, scented wax carolers from the 1970s like this one I saw at Dirty Birdies Vintage shop on Etsy. And one Christmas many years ago, Mom must have placed her wax trio on this piece of furniture, since to this day, its melted markings remain on the top shelf.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. It has good clean lines. Perhaps a reincarnation with paint and contrasting backing? I too put things away for that are special, but don't seem to fit in anymore, or need a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory. I too look at furniture and knick knacks with the same type of fondness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey that is a great candle my mom had the same one. To me and my siblings that smell was synonymous with Christmas. I have been trying to find where I could still get my hands on one, or perhaps find a Yankee equivalent, do you happen to know the name of the scent. looks like it isn't on that website you linked to anymore :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin