Monday, March 28, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Springtime in Paris

I do love Paris in the springtime. But for me, any time I'm able to visit always ends up being my favorite time of year. I've been in Paris in January when my days were shrouded by gray skies and drizzle. And I've found myself there during the summertime when barely a soul was on the street. Strikes that shut down everything -- including the national museums? I've experienced that as well. And magical spring evenings where the light is long and the streets start to perk with activity? Ah yes, luck has brought me there, too.

I visited Paris for the very first time in the 1980s as I was on my way to study at the University of Bordeaux. And from the moment I stepped off the glamorous Air France flight that landed in Charles de Gaulle so many years ago, Paris has always held a special place in my heart.

So imagine how amazed I was to find this "Miniplan de Paris" from 1959 in a box of ephemera I bought for next to nothing at a New Jersey flea market. Written in pencil on the map's red cover is its price: 316 Old French Francs, which converted to about 65 cents back then. Also on this relic, the city market, Les Halles, still exists in a spot that is now the location of a gigantic subterranean shopping mall and transportation hub. The Centre Pompidou had yet to be built, and the Gare d'Orsay was still a train station, but for the most part, this map could take you through Paris just as easily as it must have more than 50 years ago.

Join me today at 11:30 a.m. EST on Twitter as I chat with @DesignTVChat (#DesignTV) about my love for vintage and thrift. We're going to give away a copy of The Find!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter



3 comments:

  1. This would be an amazing in frames. As usual. Great finds.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paris is fantastic was there 5 years ago...and I agree with mr goodwill,,would be amazing in frames..sorry I missed your chatt about vintage..Hopibg for more opportunities/Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes...for me, Paris, any day, any time of the year, svp! What a wonderful gem from the past. It's awesome how much the city hasn't changed. Frame it, make cards out of it, notebookcovers. I'm certain you'll find a special way to reuse this beauty.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin