Monday, March 21, 2011

The Object of My Desire: Have a Cow!

The sunny days like the ones we had this weekend that make me thing of my favorite garage sale adventures like the one a few years ago in Santa Monica that turned up this cheery pitcher. I almost left this piece behind because the man running the sale said he wanted $10 for it. I mean, he was asking for 10 whole bucks from a guy who hits garage sales with a Zip-Lock bag filled with change. And $10 is a garage sale budget that usually lasts a whole day!

So I held the pitcher in my hand as I wandered the yard inspecting other items strewn about. I loved the bright red accents, the undamaged relief and the shimmery golden bell. Heck, I couldn't buy a new pitcher for $10, so I gave in.

While I definitely didn't buy the vessel because I thought it was a collectible, I later discovered that it actually was. What the seller told me was Borden's Elsie the Cow actually came from the Old MacDonald Collection made by Regal China in the 1950s.

E-I-E-I-O!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

5 comments:

  1. Well done! I'd rather have that one perfect item than lots o' ditzy things. A few years later, it gives pleasure still. Now that is an excellent investment. And it is a "collectible" as well. So "bravo!" for following your instincts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this delicious bit of kitsch! Sometimes you just have to splurge on one-of-a-kind items. (Even if it hurts our thrifty souls.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin