Friday, March 25, 2011

Found Fridays: Game Time!

You know I love a great find, especially if it costs absolutely nothing. So as I was perusing one of my favorite blogs, Thrift Core, created by the incredibly talented writer and graphics designer Vanessa Alvarado, I noticed that she shares with me a passion for saving items originally destined for the garbage. So I asked her if she'd share with me one of her favorite discoveries, and here it is -- a colorful game board that continues to inspire even after someone else tossed it to the curb.

"My favorite dumpster diving haunt is behind a picky thrift store," Vanessa told me. "They throw away lots of interesting vintage treasures, including this beautiful Risk game from 1968."

As a graphics designer, Vanessa says her heart sings as she admires the whimsical illustrations on the game board. But as a passionate artist and creative person, the title of the game, "Risk" offers her an especially inspiring reminder:

"You don't go anywhere in life, especially as a creative type, without taking risks," she says. "I love to display this game board in my home not only for its beauty, but for the important message: take risks, meet more people, and treat life like an adventure!"

Wishing you an adventure-filled weekend.

For a little chat about vintage and thrift finds, join me on Monday, March 28, 11:30 a.m. Eastern Time on Twitter as I'm a guest of the fabulous Canadian interior designer Jonathan Legate (jonathanlegate) and his sidekick Amy Cupp (ABCDDesigns) on their fun and frolicking #DesignTV.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when you find something you like and appreciate? I hope your weekend s off to a fabulous start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love vintage game boards!! Beautiful graphics, coloring and fonts!! I have one in my boy's room on the wall~Hollie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin