Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Find: Time to Undecorate

Just the title of Christiane Lemieux's new book Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design (Clarkson Potter) makes me want to run right out to the book store and buy it. And I will, especially after reading an excerpt in the digital magazine Lonny that featured the home of Andy Newcom, a stylist at Hallmark Cards in my hometown of Kansas City. I can't seem to get enough of this inspiring space filled with vintage treasures that breezily mixes with modern lines and antique romance. Truly a breath of fresh air.

I'm not a big fan of the overly fussy and slickly polished. That's probably why I've found myself in many heated discussions with people who are dead-set in their preference of stainless steel kitchen appliances -- everywhere, and in every kitchen. What can I say, but boooooring!

Instead, I'm pulled into a room that even though carefully planned, naturally exudes a lived-in sensation, full of personality and void of cookie-cutter notions and showy objects. I enjoy seeing a row of pillows living on a sofa that haven't been subjected to a decorator's karate chop. And it bother's me not one bit to see see an air conditioner poking through a living room window. If you live in New York like I do, that's often just part of the expected view.

In my anticipation of picking up Undecorate, I was reminded of a photo I took of a charming, yet undecorated room when scouting the Fire Island vacation community of Saltaire for my book The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating With Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details, also published by Clarkson Potter. It's true that the electrical cords are all askew and the shades on the lighthouse lamps are on a funny tilt, but the green wooden glider and the sun streaming through French doors can't help but captivate, making this a space I would be happy to find myself on any given day.

If you have a copy of The Find and would like a personalized bookplate, email me at theelegantthrifter@gmail.com and I'll pop one in the mail for you.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to flip through this book too! Pristine "Catalog Living" is not for me. Show me a stainless steel-everywhere kitchen and polished house if you want to elicit a mighty yawn from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd love my house! Vintage/thriftstore stuff for miles around :-)I'm comforted to know it's soon going to be considered "chic" and in.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin