Monday, February 21, 2011

The Object of My Desire: 'Tis the Season


As the days start to become slightly longer and we start getting teased with springlike temperatures, I start thinking about going to garage sales. Here in New York City, we don't have garage sales. But in my my hometown of Independence, Missouri, and in Santa Monica, California I find that the sales are, simply, out of this world! While people are shocked that I can still find a bargain on a treasure in Los Angeles, I kid you not, it happens every time I hit the streets there.

Take this Little Red Riding Hood cookie jar, for example, that I bought in Santa Monica. I spied it from another yard sale across the street, just lying under a card table. The seller seemed more concerned with moving old clothes, so when I asked her how much she wanted for the cookie jar, she said $5. Huh? I quickly reached in my wallet and handed her the cash. I had no idea the value of this piece and bought it because I really liked it. Once I got to Ruth's house and did a quick search on the Internet, I discovered that my little lady was an original piece of Hull Ware worth much more.

While the seller told me her grandmother used to put oatmeal cookies in this cookie jar, she stands cheerfully empty in my living room reminding me of all the thrifty adventures that warm weather always brings.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

8 comments:

  1. That seller had no idea what they had! Great buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find! I just got a Hull creamer for 50-cents at a thrift store.
    Regarding the garage-sale-season-waiting-game, I've found that just perusing craigslist is a wonderful outlet!...Happy junking!...Diane-from-Missouri-also

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO IN LOVE with that cookie jar! What a FIND!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my what a deal. She had no idea what she had. As for yardsales, none in our area yet. Calling for snow tonight. YUCK, I am so over snow. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter her monetary value, she stands on her own. Congratulatios on a beautiful find! (Not that we're surprised.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the red riding hood cookie jar; my grandma had one; now my sister has her on display! I love junking and am so glad the season has arrived here in my neck of the woods!!
    Hollie=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a garage sale treasure hunter too. I usually drag home furniture to restore!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin