Friday, February 18, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: Have a Heart


I know that for some people, the idea of baking a cake can cause them to quake in their shoes. But for me, it's one of the easiest gifts I can offer that doesn't cost a lot of money, and I like to offer it on a thrifted plate that the receiver can keep and not worry about having to return.

So when I decided to make a heart-shaped yellow cake with fresh strawberry buttercream for a couple of special little girls on Valentine's Day, the first place I went was Goodwill. Not more than 10 minutes and $3 later, I left with this Mikasa crystal platter. (Doesn't it look pretty on top of the hand-tufted rug Gene Meyer made for me?)


But it's even more lovely under this cheery pink cake, which was delicious, by the way.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I do the same thing with flowers -- put them in a thrift shop vase that the recipient can keep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and lovely! Hope you had a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin