Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Find: Garage Sale Goodness

There is something about garages sales that I cannot get enough of. But I'm certain that the biggest attraction is the element of surprise promised by every cardboard sign mounted on a street corner or stapled to a telephone pole. I prefer signs that are clearly written and distinctively show the address in extra-large print. And I appreciate a sign that is up-to-date. It's such a disappointment to do a U-turn in the middle of the street to jot down an address, and then show up to see that the big event has already ended.

Here's a photo from Ruth Handel's yard sale that was photographed by Bob Greenspan for The Find: The Housing Works Book of Decorating with Thrift Shop Treasures, Flea Market Objects, and Vintage Details. Ruth's sale benefited LARC, a Los Angeles community for developmentally disabled adults, and stood out with cleverly merchandised tables and curated vignettes, like this pretty tropical gathering.

While here on the East Coast, garage sale weather remains a few weeks away. But in LA the climate is almost always garage-sale-friendly.

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

4 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! haha We've all got the "itch" here in Texas, I got some pretty good finds this last weekend (most of the Casablanca bound) But im ready for the days of full on Garage sales and weekend flea markets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you -- it's the thrill of the hunt that makes going to garage sales & flea markets so much fun. The flamingos shown in your photo remind me of one I bought my friend years ago. It looked great in her vintage pink-tiled bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn! I was hoping you bought that magazine so I could buy it from you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm a sign chaser!! It is a thrill...=) Cannot wait to get started...I'm having my own g-sale this next week, and I totally agree about the signs!
    Hollie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin