Monday, January 31, 2011

The Objet of My Desire: Cheap Cheep


When I paid $1 for this Homer Laughlin platter at a thrift shop during Christmas shopping, I fully intended on giving it away, but then it started to grow on me. Maybe it's because of the birds that remind me of my mom.

All winter long, Mom keeps the bird feeders full, welcoming all kinds of feathered friends to rest a spell in her backyard. Or perhaps it's the delicate gold trim that runs around the edges of this piece, reminding me of the the mix-and-match china that my Grandma Churchill used to pick up at old country auctions.

None of my Grandma's thrifted china matched, but with pieces that came from far away places like France and England, each one seemed like a rare treasure even if it had been salvaged from a box jumbled odds and ends or plucked from pile on top of a folding table.

This cheerful pretty was hidden in the middle of a lowly stack of dishes, and when I pulled it out, I knew it was coming home with me to be covered in cookies and offered to someone else as a gift. But when I brought it, I couldn't seem to part with it. So at least for a little while longer, I'm going to keep it for myself.

Have you ever bought a Gift of Thrift and then decided to keep it for yourself?

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful plate and a must keep for the memories it brings to mind. My Grandparents were big auction fans and much of what she had did not match either. She was always digging in the boxes for that hidden treasure. I have many of those treasures and they are precious to me. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. In answer to your question, "Oh, yes I have!"

    This IS a beautiful dish. Enjoy now. Give away later (if you must). You'll know when it's "time".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan, enjoy it for a while for the memories it invokes, until you are ready to part with it. Then pass it along to someone you care for. I think that is what makes vintage pieces so much more precious. All the hands that have put them to use and the eyes that have enjoyed their beauty. I too have purchased a goody or two as a gift and then found I just couldn't give them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you kidding...all the time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, definitely. A platter like that would be intended for my MIL, the bird lover, but I might be tempted to hang onto it and use it on my own table!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin