Friday, January 14, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: A Real Find

I'm always amazed at the treasures people just toss out, with no effort to give them to someone who will appreciate them or donate them to a charity! A while back, I told you about the Prada bag found in my compactor room that blew my mind with the treasures it contained. Among its contents were several made-in-USA Homer Laughlin serving platters -- more than I could ever use unless I opened a catering business.

Over Thanksgiving, a friend told me she had no serving platters to use when her family was in town, so when her birthday rolled around, I realized I already had her gift.



Since I'm dedicated to using what I have for gift wrap and cards, I covered these platters in shiny, paisley paper, since I didn't have the proper box, and tied them up in a brown, grosgrain ribbon.


So she would have something to carry her gifts home, I put my offering in repurposed a felt bag and placed a homemade birthday greeting in its pocket.

Have you ever turned a found object into a Gift of Thrift?

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter


3 comments:

  1. I love your idea of regifting Stan. I just found your blog from a tweet from @housewifebliss. I also ordered your book recently from Amazon!! I really enjoyed it, as I am a thrifter with years of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gift is gorgeous! I love the wrapping paper and brown ribbon combination. I haven't turned a found object into a gift yet, but many friends have been gifted with thrift store and flea market finds.

    I can't comprehend how people toss useful items, either. My friends have first pick through my unused supplies before they go to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those platters are fabulous. I often try to find thrifted before new for gifts. Some friends "get it" and some don't. I don't understand not donating perfectly usable items instead of tossing. So much waste!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin