Friday, January 7, 2011

The Gift of Thrift: Estate Sale Treasures



My sister certainly knows how to give a great Gift of Thrift. When I go to a garage or an estate sale, I always try to have in the back of my mind the certain people I know would love a thrifted gift. I find that when I do, the results always amaze and impress.

Obviously, I'm on my sister's thrifty gift list, and she never fails to find treasures that seem to have been tucked away just for me. She knows I love to entertain at home, and even though my table settings are far from extravagant, I do like to use cloth napkins and wrap them up in appropriate rings, such as the ones she boxed up and presented under the Christmas tree.


And as you know, I love a vintage cookbook exploding with Technicolor photos of long-lost dishes just waiting to be resurrected in -- my kitchen. Now how could one pass up this golden, commemorative edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book ? What's more, it's from the fall of 1964, which I can assure you was a very good time of year!

Always Frugal, Always Fabulous,

The Elegant Thrifter

6 comments:

  1. I found that very same cookbook last year at a thrift shop, and I couldn't resist adding it to my own collection.
    Love those napkin rings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love vintage cookbooks! I will have to keep my eye out for this one. Yes, 1964 was indeed a very good year.

    -ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those napkin rings are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that cookbook is a real treasure! You and your sister have a good thing going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sooo many golden opportunities exist within the pages of that cookbook. fabby find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous gift! Hell, even the outside is alluring. I was browsing the library this weekend and saw your book, just sitting on the "go backs" cart as if a divine source set it there just for me.

    Can't wait to flip through it tonight!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin